A 30-year-old man has died from intentionally ingesting liquefied moisture absorber, according to Korean physicians. The incident was documented in the British Medical Journal Case Reports on 26 April 2018. It is the first reported fatality from moisture absorber ingestion. The man sought medical attention 20 minutes after ingesting about 10 fluid ounces of moisture absorber solution, which contained about 300 g of calcium chloride. … Continue reading Man Dies from Ingesting Dehumidifier
A 34-year-old man ended up in the hospital after a chili pepper eating contest in New York State. The unnamed man ate one Carolina Reaper—the hottest verified chili pepper in the world—and suffered excruciating headaches soon after. His experience was published in the British Medical Journal Case Reports on 9 April 2018. The man began dry heaving immediately after the chili eating contest. In the … Continue reading When the Carolina Reaper Wreaks Havoc
Scientists have discovered a new organ that has been hiding in plain sight. The study, published in Scientific Reports on 27 March 2018, describes the new organ—called the interstitium—as a network of fluid-filled sacs woven together by dense, fibrous connective tissues. According to Dr. Niel Theise, a liver pathologist at New York University’s School of Medicine and co-author of this study, not only is the … Continue reading Scientists Discover New “Organ”
Seven people have died after eating cantaloupes contaminated with listeria bacteria, the World Health Organization said on 9 April. Between 17 January and 6 April 2018, Australia reported nineteen confirmed cases and one probable case of listeriosis. All patients were hospitalized, and seven died. All seven deaths and one miscarriage have been linked to the outbreak. According to the BBC, the tainted melons have been traced … Continue reading Deaths in Australia Linked to Eating Cantaloupes Contaminated with Listeria
A man in the UK has contracted the “worst-ever” case of super-gonorrhea. This is the first instance the infection could not be cured with standard antibiotics, according to British public health officials. The man, who remains unidentified, contracted the superbug after a sexual encounter with a woman in South East Asia late last year. The man developed symptoms about a month later, and sought treatment … Continue reading “Super-gonorrhea” Untreatable with First-line Antibiotics
Buyer beware: a California judge rules that coffee must come with a warning label about a cancer-causing chemical found in the popular drink. The chemical, acrylamide, is generated during the coffee roasting process. Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Elihu Berle ruled last Wednesday that coffee companies failed to prove that the health risks associated with acrylamide were insignificant. The ruling supports claims made in a … Continue reading California Coffee may now come with a Cancer Warning
If a doctor has prescribed you generic medication, you’re not alone: generic drugs are very common. Ninety percent of prescription drugs dispensed in the United States are generics. Most physicians prescribe generic medication because they are proven to be as effective as brand name medication and much cheaper. In 2014, generic medication accounted for 88% of all drugs dispensed in the U.S., but only 28% … Continue reading Are Generics as Effective as Brand Name Drugs?